Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Thrifty Nifty

Dear Fashion Diary,




It's hard to see in photos but this skirt has gold threads woven throughout it! If you've been following me for a while now you'll know I love shiny stuff, especially in my clothes!



Here 's another 1960's flower pin I took from my wedding bouquet! I love wearing them :)
Oh and don't mind my askew necklace...



Well, it happened again! Another piece of thrifted 'gold' {haha get it??}
This skirt was actually my very last piece that I thrifted 
from the secondhand store in Idaho, before we moved. It was moving week
and we were hurriedly dropping off some furniture we weren't taking with us.
Then I spotted it! This gold shiny skirt on the rack. 
I have been wanting a shiny pencil skirt for ages {yes, I know I say that 
about all the clothes I buy...}
It was like, Idaho's farewell present to me. The Thrifty-Fairies must've sprinkled their fairy dust on that thrift store. It was...."density". {name the movie!}


Anyway, about the outfit.
I was trying to find the perfect top for this skirt, and wanted to go with the unexpected.
This sweater was more of a casual, prep look and
I didn't think the 2 went together at first, but then I thought the contrast might be
perfect! And I think it worked! I love adding
contrast to outfits. Such as mixing patterns together, mixing two
styles in one outfit, or different fits together {a loose top with tight skinnies, etc}
Opposites really do attract after all :)

Sweater: F21buy here!///Skirt:Thrifted (orig. Downeast Basics)///Heels:Charlotte Russe //Belt: Ross///Flower pin: Vintage///Glasses necklace: F21


Good news! I am being featured over at Rachel's blog today! Go check it out :)



Thrifters Anonymous
pleated poppy
Pin It!

25 comments:

Kiana Bates said...

Love the shirt and skirt combo! I would have never thought to put mint with gold :)

kianabates.blogspot.com

Rachel Sayumi. said...

LOVE it! that skirt is gorgeous!!! I think DownEast had a really similiar skirt my friend had, and i was so jealous! it's soooo pretty :D

CC said...

Great outfit! Love that pencil skirt. ;)

Melodee said...

gorgeous outfit! as always you are so cute!

Miriam said...

yes it looks great - I love the way they play off each other. Happy New Year and thanks for being a part of Wardrobe Wednesday this week. :o)

dotty said...

what an AWESOME mix of patterns, lady!

dash dot dotty

kaila mo said...

aw you are so cute! your skirt is adorable, what a nice last gift before leaving haha. and i agree, the sweater is a nice contrast, i love the color!

Maiken said...

oh wow, what a stunner that look is! one of your best ones so far for sure, at least in my eyes.
I just love the bold bright sweater and the golden skirt together. such a special combo indeed!
too bad my favourite thrift store hasn't offered any new clothes lately.. I'm really waiting for them to get new stuff!

Maiken,
Maikeni blogi - part of me

Peas & Carrots said...

Great outfit. Love the polka dot jumper and cute necklace.

Style-Stop said...

That's such a geek chic look :)
Perfect with the sleek hair and nerdy glass necklace. Thrift shopping is the best, right! I love finding amazing pieces at throwaway prices.

Tanya
http://style-stop.blogspot.in/

Shay said...

I would have never thought to put that combo together...which is why you have the fashion blog and I don't! ha. You are the cutest, Sara!

Alisa Marie said...

Love your outfit! I love the color of that sweater and the glasses necklace, so cute!

Nikki | The Ginger Diaries said...

okay, i luuuuuuuv this Sara! The skirt is thrifing perfection and as I said before, I am smitten by your amazing collection of vintage pins! This blue one is again a beauty :) Hope you had a lovely NYE and get settled soon too! xo Nikki

shooting star said...

I love everything about this outfit..the nude pump shoes, the skirt(its lovely!!!!) , the sweater and how its matched with the stripe shirt...the pendant and the flower brooch,...heck I also love your lip color!!!!!


happy new year :)

http://www.myunfinishedlife.com/

Jessica said...

fabulous blog. I just found you through Rachel's 5 under 500.

Brooke @ Silver Lining said...

This is such a great combination. I just found your blog from your cute post on Rachel's blog, and don't worry I already scrolled all the way to the bottom to see more of your outfits.

Also, coming from Utah, I am feeling SO jealous of your Arizona sunshine right now!

Excited to be your newest follower :)

B

Emily said...

I always love your combinations! This is adorable!

creamyclothes.blogspot.com

FierceandFashionable said...

I want that skirt! I can't believe you found it at a thrift store!! Awesome!!


Michelle, Fierce & Fashionable

Jessi said...

Ooo I love the sweater with that pretty coral belt! That skirt is amazing too. You're right they're the perfect contrast! Oh and please convince my hubby to move to Arizona! We could be besties and I could be warm! Haha. If it weren't for him wanting to stay here id be living somewhere warmer:)
-Jessi
haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

Amanda Schroeder said...

Found ya from Rachel's blog. You are beautiful! And I'm so excited to see more of your fashion posts.

amanda @ we and serendipity

Katherine said...

Great outfit! Love the color of your sweater :)

-Katherine
highheeledconfusion.blogspot.com

suz and viv said...

nice skirt! ;) I love the dots with it

Autumn said...

I love the shimmer in that skirt!

Adin B said...

I love that skirt! Lucky you. I am on a search for that perfect pencil skirt in black and hopefully I can find me one. Such a lovely thrift find. I love the combo too of the sweater and the skirt. :) Lovely!

Danielle said...

I love your clothing combinations, I need you to come help me ;) What a great find with that gorgeous skirt!